Wednesday, September 21, 2016

It is unnerving how normal it is.

So the other day my mom and my sister were talking about how I am jobless and take no initiative. In this conversation my mother mentioned that had we been in Liberia, she would have had me raped. I said nothing. It is statements like these that make it hard for me to get along with any of my family members from the West African region. This is not the first time that my mother said something of this caliber or that my sister has gotten angry enough with me that this statement was just let loose to fly. It is ESPECIALLY galling considering that all of us are sexual assault survivors in some form. The fact that my mother, of all people would even consider such actions and then (in the same breathe) state that she loves me? Wut??
I just don't understand how frustrated a loving family member has to be to wish for a time and place that orchestrating the trauma of a family is an option. Is this how normal rape is in the African community? Is this really what we want to pass down to our kids? I for one do not and if it means that I have to tie my tubes then so be it. But this is not something that can be allowed to prosper.

No comments:

Post a Comment