Sunday, January 15, 2017

You can't say they aren't racist, white person

So, when I started the job that I am currently working, I asked my boss a very simple question: have any of your workers expressed racial discomfort with any of the clients? He responded with the fact that he doesn't take on any racists clients and that he's never encountered racism with a client before. And I knew that couldn't be right. I live in Texas, the breathing definition of racism. Also, my boss is white and male, so he wouldn't know.
And it turns out that I was right. The client that I work for is a big supporter of Making America Great Again. The first week that I worked, he asked me where I was from. When I told him I was Texan, he said that my lack of an accent is a big give away that I am not entirely American. Now, just because my parents were born in West Africa doesn't mean that I'm not American. My real ass birth certificate is from this country. But he's cordial to me. Tries to have conversations. But he also bashes The Obamas, complains about the amount of brown people are in this country, Obamacare is worse than the ACA, how nothing is ever free etc.
This man is college educated. He doesn't believe in slavery. But he insists he isn't racist. And my boss vouched for him. I mean, he let's The Blacks into his house. Hell, his doctor is a Mediterranean Man (He's actually a Bostonian of Armenian heritage).
And I just....that's racist, dude. The fact that you can't see that means that you are not allowed to determine what is and isn't problematic. Because people like that don't get it. You don't even want to walk in another person's shoes to see their experience. And as for accepting certain people that they let into the house, those people work for him. In his mind, he can say and do whatever he wants to us and we just take it. Like we're hollow.
It isn't my fault that you can't see the humanity in others. It also isn't my fault that I believe you no longer have humanity (if you had it at all) which is why you can't see it anyone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment